The Virtual Sydney Rocks Guidebook

3 Carahers Lane

Missing Image
From left to right - Nos 11, 9, 7, 5, 3 and 1 Carahers Lane in 1901
NSW State Archives & Records
Digital Id: 4481_a026_000209

Missing Image
Architectural plans for 1-3 Carahers Lane
NSW Government Architect 'Plans and Photographs of Buildings Demolished 1902-1907'
Courtesy of the Mitchell Library

Constructed: c1845-c1848
Demolished: 1902

The double storey terrace at 1 and 3 Carahers Lane was constructed sometime between 1845-1848 by Publican William Massey as rental properties on land purchased from James and Sarah Byrne in 1837. They remained in the Massey family until their demolition in 1902.

James and Sarah Byrne
1837-1853 William Massey
1853-1855 Mary Ann Massey (nee Benson, wife of William Massey)
1855-1902 William and Mary Henson

1848-1848 John Phillips (waterman)
1856-1856 Lock (first name and occupation not given)
1857-1857 Martin Keenan (labourer)
1858-1861 Joseph Thomas (labourer), his wife Catherine (nee Donovan), and five children, two of who died in 1860. A sixth child was born in November 1860.
1859-1859 James Thomas (general dealer)
1863-1880 Charles Leggett (mariner, wool jammer), his wife Catherine and their son Thomas.
1881 Simpson, duaghter Ester Maud born in 1881.
1882-1882 William English (laundry)
1882-1884 William Webster Simpson (labourer, coal lumper)
1884-1884 George Halliday
1885-1885 Thomas Quick
1885-1887 George Allardice (lighterman)
1885-1887 Michael Morgan
1886-1888 John Quick
1889-1889 James Foy (confectioner)
1889-1902 John Sullivan
1890-1890 F. Meadows
1891-1895 William Meadows
1896-1898 Richard Headon/Eden
1899-1899 John Morgan (sailmaker)

Further Information

Big Dig Buildings
The Big Dig
Big Dig People
Main Menu